HEREFORDSHIRE AND MID-WALES GROUP OF THE HPS
Nurturing an interest in hardy plants
WHAT WE DO
The Hardy Plant Society
The role of the Hardy Plant Society, since its conception in 1957 is to provide members with information about
1: familiar and less well-known hardy perennial plants
2: how to grow them
3: where they can be obtained
4: ensuring that garden-worthy perennials remain in cultivation and have the widest possible distribution
The Herefordshire and Mid-Wales Group aims to meet these objectives at a local level.
The Group organises a series of talks given by gardening experts.( but not throughout the year as we visit gardens in the Summer) These are held between Autumn and Spring, usually on the second Saturday of the month, and start at 2pm.These meetings alternate between the principal venues of Pembridge and Glasbury Village Halls.
During the summer months, the Group arranges garden visits. These may be close by where members can drive themselves or further away where a coach will be arranged by the Group as necessary. The Group tries to find gardens that are not always open to the public - and also tries to ensure that drinks and cake are available wherever we go!
The Group produces informative newsletters for our members. These are published four times per year and contain helpful articles on how to create different styles and effects within the garden, histories of gardens and the people who designed and made them as well as stories around garden and country visits. There are even a few jokes and poems! Members are also encouraged to contribute articles and photographs to go in the newsletter.
The Group creates a social environment for its members to contact each other. As well as the physical events, the virtual events are run in a way that still allows for conversation to be had, and members are encouraged to share ideas with each other, either directly or via the Newsletters or the Committee. The social aspects of gardening just cannot be understated.
Membership is open to anyone, anywhere - join us now to become part of a fun and informative group!
- Wed, 15 JunLlysdinam Gardens, Llandrindod Wells
- Tue, 19 JulCwm Weeg Gardens, Dolfor, Newtown, Wales
- Sat, 13 AugNew Inn Farm, Forest Coal Pit
- Sat, 10 SeptGlasbury Village Hall10 Sept, 14:00 – 16:00Glasbury Village Hall, Glasbury, Hereford HR3 5TH, UKLecturer, writer and seed collector, Adam grows around 70 different vegetable varieties every year to supply seed to libraries, collectors, and people keen to conserve genetic food plant diversity. He is a board member of Garden Organic, and is a ‘seed guardian’ for their Heritage Seed Library.
- Sat, 15 OctWeobley Village Hall
- Sat, 14 JanGlasbury Village Hall
- Sat, 11 FebPembridge Village Hall
- Sat, 11 MarGlasbury Village Hall
- Sat, 15 AprPembridge Village Hall